Some changes that we will make when we Baptists take over Chick-Fil-A.
1. We will replace “my pleasure” with “you’re in my seat”.
2. No more cash registers. We will use offering plates held tightly by grim faced men looking disappointed if you don’t dig deep.
3. We will change the recipe for the chicken sandwiches. If it tastes that good, doesn’t it have to be immoral in some way?
4. Our personnel committee will recommend cutting the salaries of the cows, citing poor spelling as one reason.
5. We will ban the use of mustard in the store, citing “the incident” from the most recent youth lock-in.
6. New motto- “Free sermon with any purchase!”
7. We will definitely open on Sundays!
10 reasons Johnny can’t share his faith with others.
1. Those video games won’t play themselves.
2. Really, witnessing seems like a lot of work.
3. What if someone gets saved who isn’t elect?
4. What if someone gets re-saved?
5. What if someone gets re-saved who wasn’t elect the first time? Continue reading →
10 Reasons Johnny can’t give generously to God’s work through his local church.
1. He is saving for a rainy day.
2. He is saving for a sunny day.
3. He is saving for a day that is both rainy and sunny.
4. Two words: Disney World. Continue reading →
Posted in Christianity, Church, generosity, Uncategorized
Tagged Christian, Christianity, church, faith, generosity, giving, local church, tithe
10 changes that would happen if McDonald’s was run like a Baptist church-
1. Customers would have to get prior, written approval from the Committee on Committees to super-size.
2. One side of the arches would be golden, the other teal to satisfy differing opinions on the Colors Committee.
3. The new McDonald’s opening two blocks away would take half the employees and customers and be called “Unity McDonald’s”. Continue reading →
Posted in baptist, Christianity, Church, southern baptist convention, Uncategorized
Tagged Baptist, Baptist Groups, Christianity, church, Church planting, local church, McDonalds, Religion and Spirituality, southern baptist convention
I said at the funeral for Dr. Roy Fish last year that I believed him to be the most beloved seminary professor in the history of the Southern Baptist Convention. I’ve thought of him often in the last year and wanted to note some lessons he still teaches.
Lesson 1- Talent gets you admired; goodness gets you loved. Continue reading →
Posted in Christianity, Church, evangelism, faith, preaching, southern baptist convention, Uncategorized
Tagged Dr. Roy Fish, Evangelism, local church, mentor, preaching, seminary, southern baptist convention
Maybe you have asked God that question. It is commonly asked of the Lord, I suspect. “Why is this happening to me?” we cry out to God. But why do we ask that question only when facing problems? Why don’t we ask that question when we are blessed? Isn’t it just as legitimate to ask the question “why?” when good things happen to us as when bad things happen? Continue reading →
Posted in Christianity, Church, discipleship, preaching, Uncategorized
Tagged Blessing, book, christian book, Christianity, church, God, local church, Lord, Prayer, Religion and Spirituality