The church where I was saved many years ago just bought 500 copies of my devotional book “Immersed: 40 Days to a Deeper Faith”. They are going to use it for a church wide series beginning the week after Easter. Many churches have used the book that way now, but there is a special connection you have with the church where you gave your life to Christ.
I trusted Christ as my Savior and Lord in the old worship center at Continue reading
Posted in books, Christianity, Church, faith, Uncategorized
Tagged Baptist, bible, bible study, book, Christian, christian book, Christianity, church, devotional, devotional book, discipleship, Evangelism, faith, God, Jesus, local church, Religion and Spirituality, southern baptist convention, spiritual growth
Once in a while, I ask our church to fast. I doubt it is the most popular request I make. But many tell me of the spiritual significance of their fasting. So here is a brief overview of fasting.
What it isn’t-
1. Fasting isn’t a weight loss program. You lose muscle and replace it with fat when the fast is over. There are better ways to lose weight. I have no idea what those ways are, but I’m sure they are out there.
2. Fasting isn’t a hunger strike. It isn’t a way to bully God into Continue reading
Posted in Christianity, fasting, Uncategorized
Tagged bible, Christian, Christianity, deeper faith, discipleship, faith, fasting, God, Jesus, Religion and Spirituality, spiritual disciplines
If you want to grow deeper in your Christian faith I recommend the following.
1. Read big chunks of the bible. Read the entire bible for yourself several times. It will take several times through to really begin to put it all together and see the big picture well- but it will be worth it.
2. Memorize some scripture verses. Be strict about it (best said with a German accent- roll the “r” on “strict”). Get it exactly right, word for word. This will force you to really know the verse.
3. Pray all the time. That is, pray every time you think about it. Have an attitude of prayer.
4. Pray systematically. Pray for specific Continue reading
Posted in bible, Christianity, discipleship, prayer, Uncategorized
Tagged bible, bible study, Christian, Christianity, church, deeper faith, discipleship, Evangelism, faith, God, Jesus, Religion and Spirituality, small groups, spiritual growth, worship, worship attendance